I’ve tried to come up with a preliminary structure for this forum. What categories, subcategories, tags etc should we have? It is not obvious on how to go about this and there will be tradeoffs no matter how we do it. In general it is a recommendation by Discourse to keep things simple and restructure things as we go, so I’m looking for a reasonably simple foundation initially.
Qualities of the structure I’ve looked for…
- The structure should be able to make sense after the hackaton and aim to be for H4S in general as well as H4S wants to be something that is not just a yearly event.
- The structure should focus on supporting the most relevant communication, whatever that now is. Currently I’ve seen and imagine that…
- People make introductions about themselves individually, I think we should have a single topic for this like in Jupyter’s introduce yourself topic. It should be scoped to the current hackaton.
- My/Our project - For teams to write about what they do if they feel like sharing
- How to …
- Speak with me/us about … - For experts of various fields that wants to make themselves available to help others.
Globally pinned topic
We have a globally pinned topic that should contain a more suitable message than the default one: Welcome to Discourse
There can only be one banner topic, and it will show up in blue for new users until they close it once. This is currently set to be: Welcome to Discourse but it could be different.
“IT WILL APPEAR AT THE TOP OF EVERY PAGE UNTIL IT IS DISMISSED BY THE USER.”
Request for input
It would be great to hear your opinion about the structure we currently have and how it should evolve! Just reply to this post.
Watch or Track topics:
This button, found far up to the right, allows you to track what you are viewing. It could be all topics in a category or tag. Read more about it here.
Tags can be attached to a post, allowing users to watch / track those specifically if wanted. For example we could have a how-to tag that makes it easy for users to find such material even though the how-to posts are spread out in different categories.
It is possible to click on a persons name and then click on a message button.
Any post can be turned into a WIKI post which means that it is allowed to be updated and changed by anyone.
Easy to restructure:
It is quite easy to restructure the forum by renaming and moving categories etc or individual topics.